Wednesday, January 11, 2006

a another beginning

It's amazing how lost and utterly ALONE one can feel on their first day of school. Now i know why parents accompany little tots to their first day in Std. 1.

Jan 9 was my orientation day for my Diploma In Mass Communications, so basically it was my first day. I had just come back from a trip to Singapore the day before and had many many new college things! *yay* However, many many new college things do not guarantee you a first day free from first day awkwardness.

The day started at 6 a.m. when i woke up. After agonizing over what to wear for the First Day, i had not been able to catch much sleep, so was still very the sleepy. Used my brand new Maybelline Mousse Foundation and generally made myself presentable before going on my very first School Bus Ride since kindie. The bus ride was horrible enough after changing buses, but the third bus was the worst. It takes me through the back road to Leisure Commerce Square where the college campus is, and that place is like, under construction or soemthign, so the whole ride, the bus was shaking, bumping, and occasionally even vibrating.....

As the bus drew to a shuddering heap at the Main Office, i started sms-ing friends to keep myself occupied and not look pathetic and looking like a lost sheep. (thanks Kareen and Francine ). After many minutes of walking around aimlessly, i mustered up the courage to ask the receptionist where i was to go for the orientation. I then proceeded to get lost on my way to the Lecture Theatre until i remembered i had a campus map. (duh!!) So i make my way there, but there is nobody there. except for the security guard lady. So i hang around another lecture theatre with other freshies (whom i did not talk to because i thought they were seniors) until aroudn 15 minutes before the orientation is due to start. When i go back there, there is still nobody outside till i peer inside the room and saw a lady in a suit who looked authoritative (always a good sign-professional!) who turns out to be Ms Sophia, some admin person in charge.

Being the punctual person that i am, i go in and take a seat. and wait.

And wait.

finally, some other girls start coming in.

And more girls.

I start thinking that this may turn out to be an all female course, not that it's bad, but when you've spent your whole life in a single sex school (missionary school no less!), it's understandable when finally some testosterone walks in and takes a seat and i think "HELL YESSS"

*ahem*

So they had the usual talks, and we actually had tea. By then, i had new friends. *whew* Cheryn who knew me from Anaz sat next to me. How about that. My first Sri Aman friend. Whoda thought??!!

Nimi, Jessie, Caroline sat in front and soon, the number of coursemates whose names i knew skyrocketed! (okay la, it just climbed a bit, but still good right..)

Jay (whose name is in pink-ish red because he claims that "real men wear pink") reminded me of Francine because they have the same last name and skin colour. I later found out that Jay is actually 1/4 Burmese, and not baba nonya like Fran, but what evs.. He's nice, friendly and has a cute 'senyum kambing'. He showed it to me when we were 'rehearsing' smiles and expressions for student id photos.

Beh is Tall! Possibly the tallest guy in class, which isn't saying much because there are about 35 i think.. and about.. 15 guys at the most.. (tragic...) I overheard him talking to Jay and saying something about 'the tallest building in the world' so i assumed he was the International student from china..or taiwan.. whichever. I was quite impressed because he spoke very fluent English. almost like a local! Not so suprising anymore when i foudn out today he's actually form Shah alam....

Lydia is probably the one i feel most comfortable talkign to about makeup. How do i know this? Becuase today, in our Intro to Comm. and Human Behaviour lecture, our teacher told us to find out two simple things about our partner. Her first question? ' What brand of mascra do you use?" Given, that i wasn't actually wearing mascara, so i felt rather flattered (i had just curled my lashes that morning, you see). She's your typical popular girl la.. pretty, knows lots of people..Kinda like Krys.. A bit manja-fied, which i like, because finally, some one to accompany me. Lydia has pretty purple braces. They make me want to get braces just so i can get my smile pierced in my favourite colour.

Shirin shares all the same classes with me, so we more or less accompany each other most of the time. She's nice and obviously very smart! (she scored a band seven like me on the english test!!) good english is a sign of intelligence, but i don't count because all those brains are focused on Interact. She actually reminds me of gaya from 5sc1...

Nimi is another cool girl! She was the one who introed herself to me first and she generally gives that dependable friend vibe.. good vibe yeah?

Chandi is an international school student from Jakarta, and did A-levels in Sunway. She's cool, and is not at all superior hoity toity just because she's older. She's friendly and quite witty i should think!

So generally these are the people that I've met so far plus a few others whom i don't know too well yet, but hopefully that will change soon. Jay and Beh are my favourite guy friends, which isn't saying a lot as they are the only guy Friend-Friends I have.. But soon!! i will have a whole collection!! *cackle*

you see what happens when you deprive soemone from co-ed schools?

me.

lookign forward to sunday, because i know only you guys read this.

yuen

2 comments:

Lynnylchan said...

Lei dit pang yao suma hai malai-yan? Mo tong yan ah? Bei lei practise ha lei dit tong wa, if not you really banana.

Ngo ge pencil case is lau-siong on the grey dresser next to the orange plastic small drawers. I think. Pong ngo sau hei hui, if not Ros will help me to diau-la-sap... sob sob...

And should you be applying foundation when you're half asleep, skali your face look like ghost like that.

Anonymous said...

hahaha.. yuen, now i read it.. so u did make friends eh.. not too bad.. and next time please.. specify la.. taylor's PJ campus... hahaha.. anyway, have fun studying!

*ps: u make an appearance in my blog. go check it out*