Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Birthday bash in advance


I celebrated my birthday in advance on Saturday due to people having church on Sunday and also because Chandni and gang were planning to catch Rojak! on Saturday. Anaz, Francine, Calvin and I bertolak-ed from my place after 'lunch' and drove to Hartamas.

Because I had birthday immunity, they had to let me listen to my new Corrine Bailey Rae album. I put ' Put your records on ' on repeat, much to their agony. After we got there, we met up with Kareen and then headed to Paddington's House of Pancakes because i was craving for some ice cream, but then i decided to have their seafood cream pie instead. You know i can't pass up seafood!

anaz and kar at paddington's

After Paddington's, we met up with Chien Yih, and then strolled around the Hartamas mall. The mall was a dissapointing place, what with being so dead and hardly any good shopping places. And because the sole reason we were in Hartamas was because of the shopping, we went off hunting for more shops, so we squeeze back into Calvin's car (which, by the way, has no right mirror) and go hunt down Blook somewhere nearby in Hartamas. Once we walk into Blook, leaving the guys sitting outside on the steps, we get to work. Loads of tops and skirts later, I splash some of my bday dosh on a dress and tank. very the puas.

Shopping is hard work, so we reward ourselves with coffee bean. While we're there, we try to figure out where in the world Cat's Whiskers is. Phone calls to Anaz's cousin, Beth didn't help very much as we finally give up and go makan at Aoyama.

kar, anaz, me, fran, krys

Dinner was fabulous with japanese food served by the restaurant according to the budget, and there was loads of camwhoring going on. Krys and Yuan came and there was a lot of talking, shouting (on my part, sorry) and best of all laughing. It was so great to meet up with old friends and go all crazy just like old times.

It was still raining very heavily when we left the restaurant, so it was dashing through the streets and lanes to the car park, and we decided to ditch the umbrella and walk through the rain. It was crazy. Anaz and I were practically falling over each other laughing like crazy drunkards, and i'm pretty sure the chefs of the outside restaurants we passed thought we were drunk AND high.

The mood in the car was hilarious. We had split into two groups, and Anaz, Fran, Me piled into Cal's car, while the rest waited for their car. Today's environment must really be polluted because there was definitely something in the rain that got to us, what with all the singing (out of tune) and arguing over control of the remote control for the sound system. Craziness.

When we get to KLPAC, it's still raining pretty heavily. I meet up with Jay, and then we mill around waiting for the play to start. The toilets are still like i remember it when i went to watch Julius Ceasar. The sinks are still uber cool. so avant garde and modern.

The play was hilarious. It was really a compilation of short monologues that were mostly humourous and satirical. One really freaked me out though, although my bimbo brain couldn't totally comprehend the full meaning of it. It had a lot of screaming and was very dark. It was about a mom and her son (who by the way had really cool eye make up) and there were two 'angels' and a 'teacher' and the mom was a bit the.. insane. erm. yeah.

By the end of the play you can pretty much figure out that the teacher was God, and the book was the Book of Life, and the two freaky ass angels were..angels. I didn't understand fully what they were trying to get at, but if the point of art is to illicit a reaction from the audience no matter how extreme, they suceeded. The play terrified the shit out of me, especially the part where the angel 'killed' the mom by wrapping the trash bag over the head. It shocked, scared and stunned me as well as confused me. The lighting effects and significance of the props and the fact that you KNOW all this is a metaphor for something deeper and darker beyond my comprehension was very overwhelming. By the time the lights went up for intermission, I was shell shocked and tearing. I couldn't help it!

During intermission, the girls went to the loo, then they wanted to chill at the cafe. When people started going back into the pentas, I want to go back inside, but everybody's like no no, still got time, chill la. Finally i get why they didn't want to go back in when a waiter comes to our table with a plate of tiramisu and ice cream. Kareen had told Yuan that I wanted ice cream earlier, so yay, i got my ice cream after all. Then they sang Happy Birthday, but what was extra ber-malufying was that there were some sort of Tamil new year thing going on next to the cafe, so the Indian people joined in. I think. I don't know. I covered my face with a plastic bag, but I think I could hear them...

you guys.. the play is starting la..

Finally we went back in LATE which was a bit embarassing cause i think we held up the starting of the next play, but. yeah. oops. The rest of the play was entertaining, and I really enjoyed it. By the time we get out and head to the park to cam whore, we're pretty pooped out. But cam hoing must be done. will post a link to the photos one of these days...

All in all I had the greatest Birthday ever. So suitable for my 18th bash yeah?

Special thanks goes out to Kar for organizing and calling everybody, Cal for driving, Yuan for getting me cake and ice cream, Yih for the tickets, Anaz and Fran for eating my tau foo pok. and Krys for letting me and fran play with her new camera. and to EVERYBODY for coming. i love you alll so berbanyak fied much.

special note to kitten and nash : hey i totally don't know you, but thanks so much for leaving a comment! nice to know people acutally read this crap. :D

1337-er sends : http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A450587

No comments: