Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Points, Shoots and Leaves.

For any beginner delving into digital photography and getting their first digital camera for not-serious photography, most people would recommend a point and shoot camera. It's the best kind to start off with, because well.. you can't get more basic than point and shoot.

Personally I would always recommend Ixus only because it's my first digicam, and it's one of the best digicams I've handled. Canon makes very user friendly cameras, and it's great to handle. Okay la, I'm damn biased, but really! I've handled Francine's dunno what model camera, but it a bit klunky and hard to control compared to what I've become used to. Calvin's Lumix (?) is a pretty nice gadget that's probably the best I've handled besides mine; it's got image stabilisation, if I'm not wrong, higher pixel count, and the screen is bloody huge. I've only ever shot with Rahjis' Powershot a few times back in form 5, and it's flipable screen was pretty cool, but really, when all is said and done, it's not something you can stuff into a purse because of its comparitively huge size. My sister's Ixus 55 is undoubtedly better than mine; bigger screen plus, my favorite, it has colour filters! Niiiice. Some more some more.. I can't remember KarBear's camera, cause she hardly brings it out. I'm not even entirely sure it's hers.

And I hate Cyber-shots. I hate the way they feel in my hand, I hate the responsiveness, I hate the shape of it. Suxi eats and spits out Cybershots for breakfast.

Lydia mentioned that she was considering getting a digicam the other day. Okay, I'm no expert la (modeeesttt), but I will share my experience when I was first acquiring Suxi.

Okay, first all, my mom made me do my research. You have no chance of anything if you don't know what you're talking about when you ask for something. So I did my homework. I pretty much focused on Canon because they had a lot of heavy advertising going on then, and I didn't think much of other brands, not even Olympus, although at one time I think I was considering the Mju thingy, but daymn, it had an ugly shape. Factors taken into consideration were budget (mom was pretty generous), pixel count, features, zoom, and er.. the colour. :D Alas, no pink, except the cybershot.

Of course, very easy for people to make the misconception that megapixels make the camera. AU CONTRAIRE! Yes, higher pixel count is related to a higher resolution lar, equating to clearer shots, but the sensor of the camera also matters! An 8MP camera with small low quality sensor will take inferior shots to my little old school 4MP Suxi. BLUEKKK! And besides, unless you're going to be printing anything larger than A4 size, 4MP is sufficient most of the time. Buy so many MP for what, can eat ah.

If you're really picky about getting value for your dollar, most cameras offer glitzy features nowadays like image stabilisation, filters, and dunno what else. IS would be pretty handy, but you won't die without it la, unless you've got Parkinsons. I've overcome blur shots by hiking up my ISO when using flash is not a good option, at the price of extra noise in the photo, but it's not too bad. Filters are fun, although I don't know how many cameras offer that feature, and plus, you can always cheat that with a little photoshop effort.

Besides, it's the photographer, not the camera.

Wah I crap a lot hor.

Anyway to PROVE that my little 4MP-only Suxi can kick ass, here's my gallery. It only has 7 shots la, and yes, I edit, but still damn chun right?

Fuyoh, blow my own trumpet all. Rage la. Hehe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey i like ur shot "Cameron Highlands". nicest one.


=D