Thursday, October 26, 2006

Building Blocks

I love LEGO

Absolutely random statement. But the thought suddenly popped into my head.

I loved lego as a kid!

I had a large red box of lego that had six compartments and a handle so you could carry it around like a briefcase. The compartments were converted into a doll house for my little lego penghuni. There were sofas, chairs, and tables for the little big headed-no arms-no legs lego boy. He was particularly weird because he was adopted by the toddlers' version of lego, and his 'hole' was bigger than the normal lego.

The sliding cover for the red box was actually the land you built lego structures on; it was a bright canary yellow that eventually got a slight shade of dirty blonde. I always always always built a house with a garden and fences and the little blue pool. Because it was very tedious to take apart the walls piece by piece, I built the walls one stack a piece. Meaning my wall bits weren't joined together, making me a horrible architect and rather violent little girl because I enjoyed ripping the walls out.

Whenever I visited my Grandma's house, I'd hunt down the old scrappy cardboard box filled with stray pieces of vintage lego. It was probably my cousin's old collection of army lego, because there were a couple of medieval soldiers with spears and 'chain mail', some castle window pieces, and my absolute favourite: HORSES

I love love love lego horses. I think they are THE BOMB. They're so stiff and cute and the colours were so preeeettyyy. There was a white one, and a black one with a white diamond, and I think a few others. I found a few wagon wheels, and through some ingenious fiddling here and there, I built a WAGON! Then I attached the horses to it and I made them pull it around!! BWAAAAHAHAHAH!

Then for we got this little mini lego set. It was a stable set; with a horse, and a jeep with a horse transporting thing, and a stable. It was so CUUUUTE. I stole a horse from the cardboard box so it could teman the new horse.It had a red saddle and looked damn regal!

And there was that beach set which had a shark and a lifeguard's chair. The lego board was multi coloured so it looked like the sea which got deeper in colour as it went out more in the ocean. The shark was cool, it could open and shut its mouth like JAWS.

Then there was the restaurant set. This one wasn't a proper Lego Mattel set, I think, but it was very useful because I poached pieces from this one to add on to other sets.

And then there was this other set, which was a house. The thing I loved most about this set was that it had a pool. Or this pit that was supposed to be a pool. You could build over it, so the lego people could swim underneath a part of the house. It had a driveway with a streetlight, and the mailbox, and lots of flowers.

I think all this Lego fascination instilled that tiny bit of ambition to study landscaping and architecture. Too bad I wasn't willing to spend so much time getting that degree.

1 comment:

Jay's Brick Blog said...

Lego made me 1000 bucks richer