Friday, October 13, 2006

EOS Dreams

OMGSOGORGEOUSDROOLORGASM


EOS 350D

I don't know how to say this, but..

I was so turned on when I checked out the specifications and features of Canon's range of DSLRs.

It's just so beautiful and..sexy looking. Some people think guitars are phallic instruments, I think this hunk of photographic equipment is crazysexycool. But I digress.

So yes, the EOS 350D so far looks like the most economical choice. The Canon website says it retails for RM2999, which is relatively low, compared to other Canon DSLRs such as the EOS 5D which retails for a whopping Rm 12999. I am not kidding. I thought there was a decimal error at first, but a check with review websites confirmed that the US pricing was approximately $3000.

For RM3000, the EOS 350D shoots at 8 megapixels, with an APS-C sensor, guaranteeing clear shots with noise reduction and filters. It has 5 creative shooting modes; Program AE, Shutter-speed priority AE, Aperture-priority AE, Manual and Depth-of-field AE, and 7 preset modes; Portrait, Auto, Landscape, the usual.

It focuses with a 7 point auto focus, and my favourite, an ISO setting of up to 1600, which is a huge upgrade from my Suxi's 400. Yes, a higher ISO setting means more noise, but the noise reduction should help that bit. Some other DSLRs offer an ISO setting of up to 3200, but I seriously doubt I'm ever going to need one that high, even my Suxi takes good enough shots when I shoot with IS0 400.

While I was going through the DSLR manuals, I finally found out what that little dotty icon that sometimes pops up in Suxi means; it's a metering. HAH! The EOS offers 3 types of meterings, flash exposure control (mandatory with all digital cameras, IMHO), and 9 White Balance modes, plus this thing called Auto White Balance Bracketing, which takes 3 shots of the same scene with different lighting.

But what sets the DSLRs apart from the Ixus series?

THE ACCESSORIES!

DSLRs are obviously for the prosumers, or semi amateurs, and comes with accessories like lenses that allow them to expand their photography skills and options. The lenses make a huge huge difference, as can be seen from the shots on Canon's website. The EOS 350D has over 70 lens options. The website is promoting the EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 II lens, which is essentially a wide angle lens, but I'm more interested in its macro and telephoto lenses. There's only so much landscape I can take in KL.

The downside is that its lcd screen is a wee bit smaller than what I'm usually used to, Suxi's is a 2.5 inch, so it's a downgrade to the EOS's 1.8, but, eh, I can live with that.

But the DreamEOS award goes to

EOS 400D

The 400D

It boasts a 10.1 megapixel, APS-C size sensor, with a 3 layer Optical Low Pass Filter and Noise Reduction on its sensor, all stuffed into its compact little body. Oh God, that was slightly obscene.

And it's so CUTE! It CLEANS ITSELF! HAHAHAHA

I mean, it has a Self Cleansing Sensor Unit, which uses ultrasonic vibrations to shake off dust in the camera. Plus, it has a Dust Delete Function for the images for especially stubborn sticky dust.

Its shooting speed is the same as the 350, but it has a larger lcd screen (2.5 inches), and a thicker rubber grip for improved grip. *coughcough* It has 6 composition modes, and you can download 3 more custom-made modes from the canon website to the camera. Its focus has 9 points (an upgrade from 350D), and 9 white balance settings, same as the 350D. 12 shooting modes , enhanced recording modes,

Its promoted lens includes EF 50 mm/ f1.2L USM and EF 70-200mm/ f4.0L IS USM lens. The first one would be pretty redundant for me because 50 mm is the nearest you'd get to an eye POV, but the second one! woooot! It's a telephoto lens that would allow zoom that makes me look like papparazzi. SYOOOOKKK! Pity they didn't show their macro lenses though..

ah HAH! found them!

*drools*

No comments: